[pianotech] OT: Grammar

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Tue Dec 4 09:11:27 MST 2012

Terry, We could sit and pick nits all day!!  e.g.
"She went to the store with Jim and I."
"Please talk to Bob or myself for more information."
"Definitely" this or that. (Tech support/billing support)
"Absolutely." (Radio/TV interviews)
(The last two aren't incorrect, just abusively overused.)

My kids (19 and 16) are both enabled with quite good grammar skills, but
when they talk to their friends they sometimes lapse into the casual "I
seen" construct.

I do know that schools do still teach grammar. The friend I mentioned at
the beginning of my original post is a Kindergarten teacher who teaches
non-native-English-speaking kids... she has to attend a three-day grammar
conference this month. She has to teach about nouns, verbs, adjectives,
paragraphs. Yes, to non-native-English-speaking kindergarten kids. I
suppose the future preservation of English grammar may be in the hands of
such kids.