[pianotech] Trim & Moulding Glue

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Dec 10 06:37:28 MST 2012

On 12/9/2012 11:37 PM, David Love wrote:
> I’ve been using TB Trim and Molding glue for years now for hammers.
> I don’t find any downside to it.  Joe, what do you mean about
> “chasing voicing”.  It removes easily with a bit of heat.  Forms
> nice collar, does everything it’s supposed to do, IMO.

I agree. Though I don't use it for hammers, a lot of people do with good
result.

> Hide glue for felt, leather etc. is good but for gluing on hammers, I
>  find it’s less trustworthy unless you are very careful about the
> proper viscosity, has limited working time.  I find more loose
> hammers from hide glue than from  TB Trim glue by far.

Most folks who have trouble with hot glue for hammers are either using
too high a gram strength (Schaff) or scraping the glue off the shank
with the sharp edge of their hammer bore. Putting a quick chamfer on the
bore edge with a countersink (or whatever) funnels glue into the joint
instead of scraping it off and makes a much more easily managed and
secure assembly. I haven't had a loose hammer in over 30 years since I
started doing this. Keeping hide glue the "right" viscosity is automatic
for those who use it regularly, and a few seconds every hour or two to
add a dash or water if necessary isn't too heavy a burden. Everything
has it's own baggage/benefit ratio.

Like everything else - whatever works.

> I do like Bolduc’s glue for soundboards and bridge caps.

Assembly 65, available from Mason&Hamlin, is a nice glue as well.
Ron N