[pianotech] Trim & Moulding Glue

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Dec 10 16:29:28 MST 2012

On 12/10/2012 4:42 PM, David Love wrote:
> No, it's not the material's fault but materials that remove opportunities
> for mistakes without compromising quality I'm in favor of.

Absolutely. It's as much a matter of what you're comfortable with and
can successfully use as anything. I've used hot hide from the first day
I worked in a piano shop, learned to use it (super simple), and have
never had the horror of the stuff that seems to be so common among
techs. I don't recall anyone mentioning it recently, but glue crystals
are essentially immortal, no shelf life, and are freeze/thaw stable like
shellack flakes, which also make a good glue that is my first choice for
sticking felt to plates. About a year ago, I finally used up the last of
the first hundred pounds of hide glue I split with my father in law in
the late 70s, with what he had left over when he passed. Still tasted
just as fresh as when we bought it. <G> It cost more than the glue cost
to ship it, but still had (has)the best cost/performance of any other
glue I've ever used by at least a factor of ten.

As I said, whatever works for you.
Ron N