[pianotech] Protection from underfloor heating

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Dec 11 08:42:29 MST 2012

The air in the thermals of which you speak is not heated by radiant heat. If
air was significantly heated by radiant heat than the upper atmosphere would
be very warm, not cold. The radiant heat of the sun heats the mass of the
earth, and that is what heats the air and creates the thermals.

I have hot water heat, and while it is true, they are designed to heat air
by convection, it is also true that a 72 degree room with cast iron hot
water radiators feels warmer than a 72 degree room heated by forced air. The
cast iron at 95-135 degrees radiates a lot of warmth that is not transmitted
by the air.

Dean
Dean W May                (812) 235-5272 voice and text
PianoRebuilders.com    (888) DEAN-MAY
Terre Haute IN 47802