[pianotech] Protection from underfloor heating

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Dec 11 22:15:37 MST 2012

If I have even a glimpse of how this works, infrared is a form of light,
and
when it shines on a mass, the mass gets warmer. That's why my masonry stove
can heat me while the air is still not all that warm. And I think that's
why
the bakeoven (which is the firebox, but after a fire is finished) does such
a great job of cooking: it heats whatever you put into it in three ways: by
contact with the floor of the oven, by convection around the container, and
by radiation in the infrared, from the firebrick floor, sides, and top.

It's been awhile since I studied this, but I do know that sitting in a room
with hot soapstone panels radiating into it is more satisfying than
heating the air and
sending it through floor vents.

Susan Kline