[pianotech] GH-1s or other G?-1 anomolies.<G>

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 12 15:28:03 MST 2012

Susan said:
"Yamaha 4'11" grand -- not their most brilliant design achievement.
Happily discontinued. The last few notes of the tenor are really
impossible to get decent."

Sssssussssannnn,
As far as I know they still make that thang, in one manifestation or
other.<G> I, actually, did a rescale for Yamaha, in the 70's. They did pay
me for that service. They then decided, after a short run of that scale,
that they knew better and went back to the s.o.s.! I've never quite
understood why they, (the Asians,....especially Japanese, seem to redesign
their models almost as often as most people change the oil in their car! I
suspect it has something to do with that particular ethnic mindset. Being
an Anglo, it does befuddle me. (And, yes, I am easily befuddled<G>).
Please refer to my previous post, regarding the re-design of that area. It
does make them more tuneable/stable.
Oh, one thing that did change in several models, is whether they have
support beams and where they placed them. That, I think, is a major part of
the issue. The first ones I encountered, had no support beams and were
major "squirrely"!<G>
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.