[pianotech] GH-1s, etc.

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 13 22:14:44 MST 2012

David,
Most string makers have a limit for core.. that is usually around .037". Some will go to .035", but few will, willingly go that small. So, the only answer to the small overall cross section of a specific note/wire is to go real small with the copper. This makes string makers break out in a cold sweat, tbs.<G> In order to get a Trichord of correct proportional size and decent inharmonicity, with consistancy, the copper needs to be workable. There is the rub. They just can't make a Trichord small enough w/o manufacturing problems. Hence, I choose not to put them through that, if it is possible to get the same musical/ tonal results with bigger Bichords on the same note. It's a job, I know how to do, but I choose to let someone else do it..<G>
The string size for E32 was .033" core and .055" wrap. That takes a highly skilled string maker on those sizes! It's above the call of duty imo.<G> Fortunately the strings are short enough that there will not be excessive deflection while winding, (so I've been told).
Then, to add to the mix, the strings needed to be made on an ASAP situation, as the client cannot afford to have the piano down for more than a day and that will be over her Christmas "vacation" time. Wheee, are we having fun yet?<G>
Joe