[pianotech] GH-1s

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Dec 17 10:05:32 MST 2012

I think bi-chords are preferred as well, except when they're not.  There
might not be many occasions where a trichord is better but it can happen and
I've seen at least one side by side comparison where the tri-chord won out,
in my opinion.  A good string maker can handle the issues of manufacturing
accuracy.  Mismatched bichords are not unusual either from the less skilled.
We should be able to handle hammer mating.

I'm not sure I agree with your premise that there is a "disconnect between
tonal assumptions appropriate for large venue pianos and the big piano tonal
assumptions which have been grafted onto instruments whose power and
intended venues are qualitatively different than their big brothers"

Scale design is really the driving force behind these issues and I see
plenty of small pianos with lower tension string scales than their concert
hall big brothers.  I also see some small pianos with high(er) tension
scales but that seems to be owing in part to the designers wishes.  Yamaha
or Bechstein come to mind.

So, I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "this disconnect continues to this
day, to define and unfairly limit small belly design, and, mind bogglingly,
define upright design as well".

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com