[pianotech] GH-1s

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 17 12:48:09 MST 2012

Joe W. said:
"To Dale, David, Joe and Ron et al,
I am trying to understand what determinations are considered when
deciding on making a scale to include trichords or bichords? WHen you
(all the piano re-designers out there) describe one scale as having
better tone than the other, or you will sometimes favor tri-chords
over bi-chords, what are talking about? Fundamental volume over
higher overtones, less inharmonicity, lower break %? What is meant by
"sounds" better? One piano you just "felt" like installing 3-string
unisons on one piano that particular day and 2-string unisons the next
day? I understand that ultimately one decision must be made in order
to finish the job, but how does one make these determinations? You
don't have to answer, but I am just very curious."

Joe,
I would have to say I am of the same mind as the others. In the particular
case of the GH-1, that started this conversation, I am doing the re-design
to eleviate tuning instability and to get a, somewhat, smoother transition
at the tenor/treble break. The original scale of note 27 was 88 pounds
tension and 17% breaking strength! That note was, virtually impossible to
tune as a unison or to any octaves! The Teacher who has owned the piano
from new, was given all kinds of lip service and bascially no hope of
improvement. She said she thought the dealer had "switched" the pianos from
the one she chose and the one that was delivered. I told her that was
possible, but that I doubted it occuring, due to the nature of how Yamaha
is about business ethics and such. No company as good, imo!<G>
That's the reason for this re-design. Will it magically make it a real
Grand Piano? No, but it will make it "less bad", as my olde mentor used to
say.<G> Or, to put it another way, it will be tolerable and closer to the
norm.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.