[pianotech] GH-1s

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Dec 17 18:30:33 MST 2012

I guess I don't approach it quite that way.

The design starts with the scale, we probably agree.  In a piano that
averages 160 lbs per string in the plain wire section the low bass tensions
won't differ that much whether the piano is a Steinway M or a Steinway B.
What will be different is the manner in which the tension is achieved.  In
the M you will have to rely more on increased string diameter, in the B you
will rely more on string length.  The character of those mono and bichords
then will be somewhat different.  This is not unlike achieving higher
tension in the plain wire section by increasing the diameter of the string
(going up a half size for example) versus increasing the speaking length.
Those both will yield higher tensions but the character of the sound will be
different.

The fact that one piano has less soundboard area is of no consequence in
determining the string scale except to the extent that you are limited in
terms of bridge shape and overall string length.  The tension targets will
be roughly the same.  In the small piano the amplitude problem is dealt with
by thinning the panel in the low end of the piano, insuring that the bass
bridge isn't too close to the rim, and/or installing a bass float.  The bass
float will probably require a change to the rib array but that's another
matter.  Lowering the tension in the bass artificially because the piano is
smaller will just create something that is unpleasant or out of balance, in
my opinion.  Avoiding gnarliness can result is a bass that sounds like a
rubber band.

I'm not sure why you would want to create a quieter bass sound just because
the piano is smaller anyway.  It probably will be somewhat quieter already
owing to reduced soundboard area and perhaps less string mass.  Compensating
for clarity that is lost to diameter when sacrificing length can be done by
insuring the core diameters are not too large, that the bass bridge is
positioned as far from the rim as is functionally possible (at some cost for
reduced string length) and that the bass end of the soundboard has as much
mobility as possible by careful thinning or adding a float.

The smoothness and difficulty of scaling of the transition will be limited
by the bridge shape possibilities and choices about how (and whether to)
install a transition bridge.  There are hazards to third bridges to be aware
of.  Positioning a separate bridge can put it in a place where the impedance
characteristics are quite different from the high end of the bass bridge and
the low end of the tenor.  Tying the bridges together can create excess mass
or stiffness at the low end of the tenor and into the transition that can
make it sound thin.  You can end up with something that sounds a bit odd,
more like a lute than a guitar, if you are not careful.  Or, you can end up
with two breaks instead of one.  Better is probably creating a semi
transition bridge that keeps the long bridge and the transition contiguous.
You'll be making a compromise of the scaling but you will anyway no matter
what.  If you shorten the length of the transition considerably sometimes it
will be better to have wrapped trichords rather than bichords (at least in
my opinion).

Bottom line is that I don't think I would alter the lower bass scale because
you think it will accommodate a smaller piano better.  I would address the
small piano soundboard issues in order to make the impedance characteristics
more amenable to the reduced area that you have to work with.  That means,
to me, careful diaphragmizing which you can safely do if you are creating an
assembly with limited compression crowning needs.  I'd probably thin the
bass end below the bridge to something like 5-6 mm and thin the panel around
the bent side and up the straight side as well.  Judicious use or
elimination of soundboard shaping devices such as cut-off bars.  If you
install one, keep it small.  A careful analysis of the rib scale (as would
be expected anyway).  Optimal positioning of the bass bridge away from the
rim balancing speaking length needs or create a bass float.  Optimizing the
scaling at the low end of the tenor bridge to the extent that the plate
allows with careful consideration before creating separate transition
bridges both in terms of placement and support as well as the scaling that
connects bass to tenor.

Better would be to remake the plate to allow more bass notes (of course not
realistic).  It's amazing what a 32 note bass does to solve scaling problems
in small pianos.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com