[pianotech] Interestingly mic'd piano

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Mon Dec 17 22:17:34 MST 2012

> From: paul bruesch <paul at bruesch.net>
> Date: December 17, 2012 10:24:51 PM EST
>
> I've tuned this piano a couple times now since they put in this (apparent) sound pickup contraption. I've never seen such a thing elsewhere, and it doesn't look like anything I've read about here. Piano is a Yamaha C2 in a church, FWIW.
>
> Is anyone aware of what sort of device they may be?
>
> Thanks!
> Paul Bruesch
> Stillwater, MN

It's a Helpinstill magnetic pickup system:

http://www.helpinstill.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helpinstill

As is the case with magnetic pickups in electric guitars and basses, they greatly reduce the feedback which would be present with microphones in high-gain (loud) environments.

They are pretty commonly used in rock and other loud types of music (though I did find a NYC recording engineer using a Helpinstill on some crossover-classical concerts I played recently).

Helpinstill also made an acoustic piano with pickups for a while....

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh