[pianotech] GH-1s

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Dec 18 07:29:51 MST 2012

On 12/18/2012 7:55 AM, David Love wrote:
> There's been plenty of bashing of trichords,  Read your own posts again.

I have, and reported what I experienced. Sorry it doesn't correspond
with your opinion.

> I acknowledged your claim that with the permission to redesign you could
> probably get around the need for trichords.  What more do you want, an
> award?

No, just a sensible reply. Sure, you acknowledged it, followed by a
general limitation of short pianos as a reason to use trichords,
followed by the absence of permission to redesign used as a
justification that there is a "place" for trichords under certain
circumstances - like when you have no permission to redesign and have no
choice, which you didn't acknowledge.

>I still think there are situations in which trichord wrapped strings
> will sound better, meaning offer better transition, than bichords.  We don't
> agree on that apparently.  That's ok with me.

That's OK with me too, if this can be done in a straightforward factual
manner.

Note, please, how I haven't preached on how every choice you have made
in redesign is in dire danger of going too far, or not far enough, and
screwing up some nebulous tonal criteria I currently think is desirable.
Are you still using spring rate to dimension ribs with downbearing load
analysis, or is that wrong now too?

> No, I've not heard your pianos but I wasn't commenting on "your" pianos.

My mistake. I had this vague impression you were bashing everything I
said I do pretty much point by point. Wrong again, I guess.

Ron N