[pianotech] Interestingly mic'd piano

Richard W. Bushey rbushey4 at embarqmail.com
Tue Dec 18 15:45:06 MST 2012

Paul,

I agree with others that it looks like a Helpinstill pickup mic.  We use one for our church campmeeting every year and they really do a nice job. The guy in charge of the teen choir brings it from Oregon or Washington state every year on the plane. I had never seen one, but they're pretty good.  One thing to watch is that the height adjustment screws are set correctly, with enough space between the string and the pickup so the string doesn't come in contact with the pickup during playing.  When the strings are at rest there is obvious clearance, but when a note is played hard those strings really get to going, especially in the bass.  Also be sure the height adjustment screws are secure or the may back off and "re-adjust" themselves during playing and may cause buzzing.  (kind of like those nice little pedal screws that you have to tighten against each other to lock them in place, if I remember correctly).

Richard W. Bushey
Richard's Piano Service
www.RichardsPianoService.com
Rbushey at RichardsPianoService.com