[pianotech] GH-1s

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Dec 18 18:55:24 MST 2012

Hi guys
 Joe another example of decisions made.

  I do think that fundamentally(pun intended) the voice of a pianos begins with the string scale. Fitting a belly system to go with it is next and then the right hammers.
  I've mentioned a 6 ft 8 Henry miller that I rebuilt and redesigned a few years back.
 The short version is it had an aggregate string tension of 50,000 lbs. Very high.The rib structure was puny. No way it ever had crown and no way would the string bearing not collapse what little it had. The plate was built for this tension so it was obviously intentional.
  The bridge was a catenary shape/design like the Ivers & Pond mentioned earlier. Since the piano was similar in size to a Steinway B, the bridge was tossed, and a new one made based on an early 1900 Steinway B bridge shape that I had taken off a rebuild in process. I gave it the same string scale.
 This allowed for much shorter strings and a more usual 160 lb per strings scale.(down from 190 to 200 lbs per string).
 Other features included a treble cut-off(fish) curved bass cut-off and modest transition bridge to smooth the bass tenor break. The plate allowed for a very generous back scale thru out the sustain and power are nicely balanced.  I liked the piano as did young Mr. connor its owner and would not hesitate to do this again and or bring it to a convention for fun.
Dale

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.
www.Erwinspiano.com