[pianotech] How to analyze an existing tuning

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 19 08:29:48 MST 2012

Yes, a good technique.  Use the pin as a kind of spring to counter the pull of the string.  Just don't overdo it.  Yeah, gentle.
I always try to keep my lever as close to the string direction as I can, especially in the tenor section.  Then you eliminate the influence of the pin bending fore/aft which affects the pitch.  It helps stability a lot.  I find that a 1:30 position of the lever in the capo section works well to the top treble.  More friction there.  Works for me.
Best,
Paul