[pianotech] GH-1s

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Dec 20 10:06:07 MST 2012

How many fixed end formulas are there?  These are straight ahead center
loaded, rectangular beam deflection formulas.  Of course in actual practice
the beams are not center loaded in parts of the piano, especially at the
top, and I do look at that.  Off center loading gives greater carrying
capacity to the beam, as I'm sure you know.  Anyway, simple ends, meaning
not attached at the ends, versus fixed or clamped ends.  Google it and look
it up.  As you've said yourself, it sticks more when you have to do it
yourself.  But basically the answer is that simple ends beams will deflect 4
times more than fixed ends beams.  Basic engineering.  Of course, this
doesn't tell the whole story, that is which formula you use.  If you use
simple ends formulas but target a deflection which is much greater than
someone who uses fixed ends formulas then there might well be some greater
parity in final calculations than it would seem on the surface.  But if we
use those different formulas and all other parameters remain the same then
the simple ends beam will be a much sturdier beam than the fixed ends one by
a factor of 4.

No, I did not say that I set light bearing.  What I said was that if I was
making my rib structures as heavy as you appeared to be making them (based
on that particular discussion) that I would definitely want to set the
bearing on the light side so as not to further increase the stiffness by
compressing the structure even further.  Since I don't, I don't.  If I
didn't communicate that clearly at the time then consider it clarified.

BTW re your other post on hybrid RC&S directed at Nick G's post., I took
that to mean the hybrid versus RC&S positions.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

This is what doesn't logically connect. What fixed end formula are you
using?

> Did I say I use light bearing??? I don't think so.

Not this round, but you most certainly did the last time this went by on
the list, as you were informing me as to how I was dangerously
overloading my too stiff boards and killing the tone.

> The preset bearing
> settings I use are 1.5 degrees through the piano.

More on this when I get more details on your flexure formula.

Ron N