[pianotech] GH-1s

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Dec 20 20:12:20 MST 2012

On 12/20/2012 8:29 PM, David Love wrote:
> I'm not clear about what and why you are asking for what you are.  For your
> "apparent information" the bridge distributes the load between ribs.  If the
> way you calculate the load between two adjacent ribs is based on how the
> actual unisons sit over them the and that, you believe, represents the
> actual load that those ribs carry I think you are mistaken.

No, I smooth the load distribution for the calculation, but by no
stretch of hallucination is the distribution uniform or anywhere near it.

>The bridge, yet
> another beam, distributes the load across those adjacent ribs.  If you
> measure the load by virtue of unison placement of two adjacent ribs at 50
> and 25 lbs respectively are you telling me that you would set up those ribs
> with dimensions appropriate to those specific loads?  I certainly wouldn't.

The smoothed loads, yes certainly. I no longer doubt that you wouldn't.

> I've given you my answer to your questions comparing your theoretical rib
> with mine using the same criteria under a specific load.  My rib is much
> lighter as you can see.  Of course, a rib that is 1090 mm will be larger in
> cross section.  What's your point?  You should be able to glean the
> difference in our approaches from what I provided.  I have no intention of
> chasing every little test you feel like throwing out there.  You have enough
> information to outline our differences.

Yes I do, at least for myself, and did before I asked.

> But in my view, your rib, which you've calculated out to support 25 lbs, is
> significantly  overbuilt compared to how I would have done it.  I think that
> is clear.

That's been pounded into the ground quite adequately, thank you. I disagree.

I'm obviously not going to get anything specific enough to make a point,
or even a comparison, so I'll withdraw from the land of creative
science, surprise revelations, and endless repetitions of the same
opinion and await tomorrow's zombie attack.

Ron N