[pianotech] Samick SU-108ps

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Dec 22 15:20:26 MST 2012

On 12/22/2012 1:52 PM, richarducci at comcast.net wrote:
> List,
> Just walked in to a Samick  console mid 90's maybe. I have the serial #.
>
> Anyway, tuning pins had no torque at all! Way down in pitch, and you could the tuning hammer with one finger.
>
> I've never seen this on an Asian piano as new as this, usually it's the opposite.
>
> Before I do a ca glue pin treatment, I want to see if anyone here has had a similar experience.
>
> Also, what is the Samick service number again? I want to see if this is a covered warranty issue.
> Thanks,

Seems to me it was the late 80s instead of the mid 90s, but one year
Samick hired local people through dealers to repin a bunch of pianos.
The story was that the pinblocks had been mis-drilled, but I don't know
why factory stringers wouldn't have noticed and said something unless no
one cared about anything at the factory. You're years past any realistic
warranty compensation, but it seems the piano hasn't been tuned since it
was new or this would have come up long ago. Sell them a repinning job
and call it a day.
Ron N