[pianotech] mailman list

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 14:01:22 MST 2012

Jim,

Maybe we are not in agreement as to what the word "political" means. When I
refer to the decision being political I'm simply saying that it was a
governance decision by those currently in power, based on their
philosophical orientation towards the PTG and its membership.

The very statement that  "It is *Inevitable*  that it will end as we know
it." is a reflection of the political thinking on the Board." and is an
obvious reflection of the Board's political outlook. The political reality
is that if a new Board were elected who had a different agenda, then things
could work out very differently.

Saying that the old list is like a horse and buggy, or a rotary phone is
amusing. To me the NEW site is more like a horse and buggy (emphasis on
buggy) and the horse apparently is not well trained.

I think this all happened because of a major political disconnect between
the main contributors to the old  list and the political leadership. It
really is like someone coming in and swapping your beloved old piano and
sticking a new digital keyboard with lots of bells and whistles.

 No matter how much you try to argue that the electronic keyboard is better
than the old piano (because it is more modern and full of interesting
features), there will be many intelligent and thoughtful people
who preferred the old piano. This is not because they are Luddites. It is
because it met the needs of the users better.

I'm not really criticizing the Board on this. They have every right, based
on the political structure of the Guild, to make the decisions that they
do. I'm sure they are doing the best that they can. A new Board may do
worse. My original point was that if people are truly unhappy with the
direction the PTG has taken in handling this issue, electing new
representatives is a reasonable approach.

 Whether or not there is the political will within the PTG to enact this
kind of change is a completely different issue.

Ryan

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter