[pianotech] old violins

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 4 08:07:05 MST 2012

Nice article and not at all surprising. Everything organic deteriorates with time. At lease in this dimension or if artificially preserved. (My studio is across the street from ALCOR - which is the company that freezes human heads and bodies to preserve them....which, btw, makes for some interesting Halloween myths!). Anyway,  I never understood aging could translate into a musical instrument that uses wood as a critical moving mechanical interface improving and becoming more efficient with age. I do experience new belly assemblies "coming into their own" sometime within the 1st 1 to 2 years, however.  But it's doubtful that this has anything with the aging or deteriorating of molecules. It likely has more to do with all those little folks learning to play well together.

Michael  Spreeman
www.RavenscroftPianos.com