[pianotech] piano keys

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Thu Jan 5 20:06:53 MST 2012

Marshall and others.

First off, you can use a small 1/4" blade screw driver, to unlock most locks that have one of those triangle shaped locks. Just shine a flash light ion the hole to see what you've got.

But here is my take on pianos with locks, especially when it's in a school or church. The piano is locked to keep unauthorized people from playing it. So someone has to have a key. Most likely the music teacher or choir director. If one of them called to have the piano tuned, it should be that person's responsibility to make sure the piano is unlocked. If it aint, tough. A lock on a piano is like a piano in a locked room. Someone in that school or church wanted to have the piano tuned. If you can't get to it, then the piano won't get tuned. You should make some effort to find the person with a key. But if the responsible person isn't around, it's their problem. I realize it's a wasted trip on your part. But I consider that part of doing business. It's like not finding someone home for their appointment. It happens. Deal with it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Wim Blees
Hawaii.