[pianotech] Spinet Repetition Problems

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 6 16:47:53 MST 2012

Martin Cipolla asked: "Spinet piano where the jacks on several keys are not
returning quick enough to allow repetition. I suspect the jack pin needs
lubed. Any suggestions on lubing this part without removing the action. I
understand removing a spinet action can be troublesome."

Martin,
The major problem with Spinet regulation/repetition is the fact that most
need to have the keys back-weighted. The olde saw of "ya gotta have lost
motion in spinets", is really just bull. No matter how you regulate, etc.
the jacks will not get back in positon properly until the keys have been
weighted. I've done several, of late, and most players are suprised at how
nicely their piano plays after doing this procedure. It takes me about 3-4
hours to do the job. Well worth it, imo. (cheaper'n buying another "better"
piano.<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.