[pianotech] Tuned my first "bird-cage" piano

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Sat Jan 7 00:40:43 MST 2012

I have two overdamper pianos on my client list. A 1908 Bluthner and a 1889 Ibach.

I just tilt the action back, put in a strip mute and leave a tail that I can reach at the break. I then tilt the action back in place.  I tune up the centers in one section, and then back down tuning the right string to the center as I pull the mute strip out one note at a time.  Then on the way back up again, I tune the left string to the center and right (which hopefully are spot on)  :-) Any notes that give me any difficulty I use the Papps treble mute, which seems to have been designed with the overdamper piano in mind. :-)

With this method I found it doesn't take much longer than a regular upright.  Maybe an extra 15 minutes is all...

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Rob McCall

McCall Piano Service, LLC