[pianotech] removing ivories

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Sat Jan 7 13:05:55 MST 2012

?I'm wondering about methods to safely remove old ivories from junk pianos.  I've got a junker that has ivories in reasonable condition and I'd like to try and remove them for future re-use.  Every attempt I've made in the past has resulted in them breaking into pieces.  I've heard of techniques ranging from using a steam iron to soaking the keys, even dampening them and placing them in a microwave.  Is there a proven sure-fire way to remove them without breaking them?  Even if one breaks the set will no longer match.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV