[pianotech] Fw: Drying ivory

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sat Jan 7 23:20:42 MST 2012

Be nice if I sent the text along with the picture --It's late and I'm clearly off my game.

List,
   I use a damp cloth and a steam iron to free old ivory from the keystick.Then leave the pieces  in very hot water for a few minutes , replenish with more hot water as needed and usually after a few minutes  the old glue
and whatever residue remains will slide off.

A few suggestions were made about drying the ivory to keep it from warping-curling .  Clamping , weighting down , flipping the pieces over etc .
I just lean the piece at the back of the bench or on a shelf as pictured here. The ivory dries perfectly flat when the air surrounds both sides . Stack em' up and go away.

Just my take,
 Tom D.