[pianotech] broken bass sting

Norman Cantrell normancantrell at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 10 06:55:38 MST 2012

Al
The good news is that since you indicated that it broke on the loop, if you cut the wire just past the twist you have enough string for a couple of tries.  Ask me how I know.  This is a doable procedure and I just did it on a Wurlitzer spinet before Christmas.  Before you begin measure the overall length of the tail.  Tie a tight knot as Ron suggests then make your tail loop so you have about a half an inch less tail than the original.  This will let you end up with a tight tail that is approximately the right length.
Norman Cantrell, RPT