[pianotech] Glencoe

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Wed Jan 18 13:58:42 MST 2012

Hi, Paul,

Here's a link to some information about the Glen Coe Massacre:

http://www.rampantscotland.com/features/glencoe.htm

The seeds laid in the British Isles by the likes of Wm. I ("the
Conqueror) and Henry II (Plantagenet) have continued to bear
interesting fruit for some time.  Imagine, if Wm. had not been the
"red-headed son", he might have been accepted as Duke of Normandy and
stayed home instead of crossing over in 1066, Harold might have
remained King of England, and the course of Western Civilization (or
what passes for civilization) might have been completely different.

The connection is that Edward I (Plantagenet) was the person
primarily responsible for setting in motion the forces that brought
about things like the Glen Coe Massacre.

Sorry...it's a long way around the barn for that one.  The overall
relevance is that one of the real gifts provided by this profession
is that we have the opportunity to learn a great deal about many
things as we poke along between appointments...or, dare I suggest
it?...while tuning.  In the Western U.S., we're cut off from a good
deal of this kind of thing because most of our overall cultural
history is barely three hundred years old.  By the time the Glen Coe
Massacre occurred, the history of the area was over a millennium old.

Kind regards.

Horace