[pianotech] Upright Key Weighting

John Ashcraft jaashcraft at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 18:00:54 MST 2012

Floyd,
I agree with Joe. Adjusting the springs will give you a static downweight
in the right range, and the piano will play well at pianissimo. This is a
good last step.

The mass of the hammers comes into play much more at fortissimo, where the
perceived force is increased, since F = ma. The faster acceleration of the
key/hammer system is felt in the fingers of the player. If you have
low-mass hammers, you feel like you are falling into the piano. A 10-gram
hammer at middle C will feel like 50 when you look at the 1:5 mechanical
disadvantage with 3/8" key dip and a 1-7/8" hammer travel. A 9-gram hammer
will feel like 45. The hammer mass gives you a dynamic downweight feel.

So, if you want the piano to feel more like a 52-gram-downweight grand,
look at the hammer mass.

John Ashcraft, RPT
Portland, OR Chapter