[pianotech] Upright Key Weighting

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Thu Jan 19 08:16:55 MST 2012

So increasing the mass of the hammer (or adding a clip on the shank) or adding mass at the back of the key will both require more force to achieve acceleration.  What are the tradeoffs in choosing where to add the mass?
Adding a clip to the hammer shank is quick.  It will change the interaction of the hammer and the string at the point of strike, for better or for worse, in terms of tone.  Adding mass to the key stick will improve key return, if that is a problem.  In this case it is not.  For what it's worth, I recently needled and shaped the hammers.  They are original, but not obviously screaming for replacement.
I am considering my strategy for Monday morning.  I think I should start with the clips, and see how my client evaluates the result.  I can also find a temporary way to fix weights to some keys, and get a response to that if necessary.
Off the top, some evaluation and adjusting of friction (key bushings and butt flanges) on selected notes will give a foundation for what follows.
I hear both static touch weight (as measured with my weight set) and dynamic touch weight (how much force is required for acceleration, as evaluated subjectively by the player) as being significant considerations.
Any further suggestions as to setting priorities?