[pianotech] WNG jack don't come back no more, no more, no more.....

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Thu Jan 19 11:18:51 MST 2012

Thanks, Nick, for being more careful with my language than I am J   I stand
corrected, don't listen to me, listen to Nick!

Readers, Nick and I had a phone conversation about these parts about a year
and a half ago, where we shared our observations and solutions.  Nick, did
you end up repining the rep lever posts to a higher gram resistance reading?

I am in agreement with your observation about the zone of adjustment
acceptability being narrower than with wooden parts, although I would say
that it likely has less to do with wood than other design considerations.
The zone of adjustment acceptability in general is narrow with these parts.
Within those parameters, the parts can function quite well, outside that you
start to have problems.  Other good techs whom I know who have used these
parts also have come to this conclusion.

It is interesting to hear about the success of your shortening of the rep
lever half of the top spring, I knew you were planning on doing this but did
not know how it worked out.  If I had thought to do this back then, I would
have done this at the same time I had the springs out to increase the size
of the barrel.  While I do not have the direct experience of success that
Nick has, I had my head buried long enough with the problems with these
springs to believe that this is worth doing.

For Ed Foote, I would make all my decisions about what modifications may be
necessary to improve and optimize the performance of these parts and take
the whips off the rails once and do them all at the same time.  It's a lot
less time doing them all at once, than finding out you need to do each
thing, one at a time.  I spent a lot more time going backwards before I
could go forward.

Will