[pianotech] question about damp chaser and weather change

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 19 18:49:26 MST 2012

Hi Everyone,
Last Saturday I went to a repeat customer to tune their Steinway L.  It has an older damp chaser, about 15 yrs old.  They needed a new pitcher to fill it and a new hose.  The old hose was in too bad of shape to keep so I discarded it.  It had two clamps that hold the hose in place undneeth, but I coud only use one because the hose was too fat to get throug none of the clamps as it was too small. I would have put a new clamp on but didn't  have a start tip screwdriver. I need to get these things I know.  So I was able to place the hose on the little L shaped brace on the lyer that feels like an allen wrench for the time being and it held it up fine.  My question is, will fixing this damp chaser adding the water and making it work affect the tuning?  The temp was 67 with 31% RH.  I placed the hydrometer in that littel triangular part of the plate by the pins where the L is stamped.

My customer called this afternoon but didn't leave a message.  Do you guys think if there was something wrong they would have left a message?  I thought about writing you folks and asking about the tuning and then calling her and mentioning that I wanted to say to her that adding the humidity might change the tuning.   I wanted to check to see ow the piano is doing?" Then if there is a problem it will look better on my end.  Since I had to rig up the hose that way, it won't cause the water to siphon out of the tank and onto the floor wil it?  thanks everyone
Marshall

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service
pianotune05 at hotmail.com