[pianotech] buffing ivory

atrav27 at att.net atrav27 at att.net
Fri Jan 20 07:42:10 MST 2012

To create a bit of a tangent.....

Is a high polish just for looks, or do players actually like the feel (or at least are used to it)?

I support polishing for cleaning and matching, or as part of damage repair, but don't like to go
fully reflective shiny.

Personally, when I play, I don't like a high polish as any sweat (or lotion/cream) will makes keys
too slippery.

As a technician, I have issues when an instrument starts to cross the line into being furniture, and
too many owners are draconian about the finish, and slothful about performance. And that's a whole
separate rant.....

;o)

-Aron-