[pianotech] Sweatbox Tuning

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Sat Jan 21 01:19:27 MST 2012

Today I had a tuning of a Schafer & Sons SS-58 grand that was the first piano I've tuned where I needed to wear sunglasses and sunscreen.  I think I lost about 3 pounds during the tuning.

The piano came from inside the house that morning when it was foggy and the grass was wet. By the time I entered the sauna tent made of clear plastic and sat in front of the piano around 1pm, it was 72F outside but it was more akin to a tropical greenhouse on the inside (see attached). I now know what an ant under a magnifying glass feels like.

I had to drape my leather jacket over the end of the bass strings to block the sun from hitting the strings. Of course, they didn't want me to move the piano, so I was pretty much staring into the sun the entire tuning, as well.

The wedding reception was to be held that evening. It should be cold outside the tent  (low 40's to high 30's) and they were going to turn on heaters to blow warm dry air throughout the tent.

This one only got a curbside warranty on the tuning... Who knows where it will end up by the time they move it back into the house on Monday... :-)

Regards,

Rob McCall

McCall Piano Service, LLC
www.mccallpiano.com