[pianotech] broken agraffes

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Mon Jan 23 16:02:12 MST 2012

Hi, Ron,

While I agree it's overtorquing, over time, I've had a number of the
undercut-shoulder agraffes break, too.  That may be because I'm so
often seeing a fairly wide range of years of production, and I do
agree that most of the broken ones are from the earlier period.  I'm
just not sure that it's possible to make a clean-cut on when it might
no longer have been a problem.

One thing I am seeing again in more recent production is uneven
agraffe height.  By that I mean noticeable/measurable differences in
height between agraffes that would outside any kind of "normal"
"curve" or line that might be expected.

Kind regards.

Horace