[pianotech] broken agraffes

Isaac Sadigursky irs.pianos at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 23 20:59:04 MST 2012

Hi,  Ron!
Steinways  with serial numbers #350,000 through 265,000 are notorious
for that problem;The stem was NOT Threaded to the end and Agraffe
Installers Over-stressed them during installation process.
Another Notable problem in modern pianos;
On many  Asian  pianos Agraffe Holes are NOT  Drilled all the way
through the plate and they are Over-stressed.
Just did a 'Root-Canal"  on a Hyundai,about 8 years old..
Hope,this information helps..
On most pianos the only tool I use is modified screwdriver in shape of
a 'V" or 'Fish Tale'.
It "bites"  into the broken piece and makes removal easy,because it
grabs 2 points.
Nothing new in this department.
Greetings from rainy Southern California
Isaac Sadigursky, RPT
Los Angeles Chapter