[pianotech] Safe-T-Planer

chrisstor at aol.com chrisstor at aol.com
Tue Jan 24 09:36:35 MST 2012

Joe and John,

Thanks very much for the added info.

John, I've used that router jig once as part of my coursework at North Bennet.   It works well.  There's some aggravating setup associated with it, but once you've got your router depth set, it's pretty fast.  But I've also seriously botched two keys by misaligning the key in the clamps.  So I know what you're talking about.  (You know you've done something wrong when you see lead chips flying!)

I think I'm gonna stay away from the table saw method.  Didn't Chuck Behm have a PTJournal article about doing it this way not too long ago?  The setup looks kinda dangerous to me, especially for keysticks with a severe flare angle.  Too much to go wrong, in my opinion.

As far as smoothness, yeah, I've noticed that the Safe-T-Paner can sometimes make some swirly unevenness. Nothing that I thought was serious enough that PVC-E couldn't fill, though.  Certainly on par with the router's results.  This is an image of the quality that I come up with the Safe-T-Planer.  I dunno.  Good enough?
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9Lwm2djwy-fJfaQFiUTMfG1XghMLjQ99YrUboiaouqk?feat=directlink

I've posted some photos and videos of my setup and process here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/christopher.storch/WurlitzerStudentButterflyKeytopPlaning?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNzyop6I_I6OngE&feat=directlink

Thanks for sharing,
Chris S.
Belmont, MA