[pianotech] Safe-T-Planer

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 24 10:32:43 MST 2012

John, Please See below.<G>

----- Original Message -----
From: John Ross
To: joegarrett at earthlink.net;pianotech at ptg.org
Sent: 1/24/2012 9:10:27 AM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Safe-T-Planer

Hi Joe,
Noise cancelling earphones work great.
Not sufficient to insure no hearing loss.
They substitute one noise for another!

Probably available just as ear defenders.
Possibly

Interesting observation about the sides of the keys not being square.

It's a fact.<G> Not just a casual "observation".<G>

So I quess clamp from the top and secure from the side.

That's my plan with the design of a "sled" for the special table.<G>

I have some cam clamps from Lee Valley, I am going to try and utilize them in a better securing system.

I use them all the time, on any "jig" that is for multiple uses!<G> There are many configurations and they are definately "Finger Savers"!!<G>

I do like the smoothness of the router.

And....what kind of a "router" do you have, that has so called "smoothness"??? Most, in my world are overactive massagers!

Safer too, no fingers in the way.

Only if you are hanging on to the router with BOTH hands!.<G> However, other body parts/clothes etc. are still at risk!
Just my take on it.
Joe

All,
I've used a Safe-T-Planer for quite a while. I have a special "Table" that
I bolt to the main table of my Radial Arm Drill Press. Believe me I have
all kinds of ways to adjust. AND, I have all the latest gizmos to make sure
the "planer" is square to the table. (This is an absolute necessary
thing!!!...you haven't lived until you've had that sucker "kick back" on
ya! damhik!)
There are a few factors of keys, that need to be considered: 1. The sides
of the keys are not consistantly "square" with the top and the bottom of
the key(s)! This is a given, for what ever reason. You may go: "Huh?" on
that one, because we do want the top to be square with the front edge(s) of
the key sides. Yes. However the overall trueness of all of the key side
varies. This is one of the reasons I don't like using the "jig" for the use
of Routers to do this job. My biggest complaint on routers is that they
kill your hearing!! (even with ear plugs and muffs, they are still in the
90-100 decibel range into your ears!) Also, because they are rotating at
such a high rpm, they are difficult to control. Vibration factor is not to
my liking. BTW, I have 4 routers. some are pretty fancy smancy ones,
tobesure.<G>
But, I digress....back to the Safe-T-Planer. One thing is for sure...it is
NOT SAFE! One of my apprentices, in her own shop, got her hand under that
sucker! It was not pretty! So,...keep your "safety alerts" on at all times.
I've found that a slight touch up, of the blades, with a diamond tool on
each use, assures smooth cuts. Also, I run my drill press at it's highest
speed. Both of those factors help to keep the surface smooth. There are
those keys, that are made out of crap wood. Nothing will help to eliminate
"tear out" and other annomolies. Just get out the wood dough and patch/sand
before applying the key tops. It's part of the job. Even with the
Safe-T-Planer, I like to do a quick sanding to assure a consistant surface
to glue to. I do that with the aforementioned "Sanding Board". Also, I have
ALL of the literature pertinent to the use of the Safe-T-Planer. I do
re-read it and don't trust my memory, as you should do, as well.<G> It's a
good tool when used correctly. In the case of keys, the only consistancy is
a total lack of consistancy...so, ya have to have a flexible system.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police