[pianotech] Self-tuning piano

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Wed Jan 25 14:15:04 MST 2012

Paul,

Your points are good about isolation, causing me to think further. You could isolate wire from capo (electrically) using say a layer of wood between the bearing and the plate. You could isolate an agraffe from the plate with a non-conductive heli-coil to thread it into. I don't know how you could isolate the strings of a unison from each other in that agraffe unless the agraffe itself was non-conductive - what, plastic? Maybe, but I totally agree, it will never be feasible as a retrofit, and the incremental advantage a self-tuning new piano might have in the marketplace is very debatable. And the effect of all these other changes on the sound just further obscures its practicality. A solution? Definitely in search of a problem.

Pete Wolford used to tell a story about an engineer who thought he could solve the same "problem". He paid double to get a "perfect" tuning. A couple weeks later, Pete saw the solution: A solid block of epoxy making certain those pins would never move again. Perspective?

~ Mark Schecter