[pianotech] String sustain - was Self tuning piano

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 26 17:39:35 MST 2012

David Boyce said:
"Two things could come out of that: 1)
A whole new sound possibility for the piano as an instrument and 2) an
aid to tuning, redicing the need for hammer blows."

David,
No. 1, most definately...er...if it could be controlled by a player. Hmmmm?
perhaps an added pedal?<G>
No. 2 I don't think would work. Think about the difference between plucking
a string and activating one with the hammer. The tone and harmonic spectrum
is different, as far as I've been able to ascertain.  I suspect that that
would create an even different tonal/harmonic spectrum. Thoughts from
others?
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police