[pianotech] Grand piano tipper

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 09:19:12 MST 2012

To follow up on solo piano moving, I posted some pictures that were
too large and they got rejected. Here are some smaller files that I
hope make the cut.

 This is the tipper that I made after seeing the "Horse". I think it
works better and is certainly cheaper. This one costs about $5 for
hardware and some waste plywood triangles from a home building work
site and some pieces of 2 x 6.  It is all wood, so it is lighter than
the horse and also there is no long screw to turn to adjust it. The
2x4 prop that goes against the leg on the right side of the keyboard,
has a series of holes into which a pin can be placed to adjust for
the correct length. The L shaped padded end  of the 2x4 can also be
reversed for easier storage and is again pinned into place in the
closed position using the same pin and holes. There is a red piece of
nylon strap that is used as a measuring gauge for  the distance to the
skid. The distance around the curve should be the distance to about
the middle of the skid. I aim for the middle of the skid rather than
the edge where it will finally end up, so that I don't have the edge
of the rim slip off the skid onto the floor-DAMHIK. This device makes
grand moving a one person job.

To get the skid on a dolly and to  make life easier, I put a 2 foot
length of 1 x 6 under each end of the skid about 3 inches in from the
end so the skid is a little off the floor and can be pried up with a
handtruck.  I pry up the keyboard end with my handtruck and slide a 2
foot long 6x6  where the 1x6 was under that end of the skid. I then go
to the other end and insert the handtruck up to the 1x6 and pry up the
other end of the piano and skid. With the handtruck pressed down to
the floor, it takes very little effort to keep it there with one hand.
I then can roll my dolly under the skid with the other hand and run it
up against the 6x6 and it is at the center of gravity and ready to
roll. The dolly is slightly higher (with 4 inch wheels) than the 6x6
and the 6x6 is now free to be removed. Perhaps I need a picture of
this and will try to get one and post it. It is easier than it sounds.
 I just need a third hand for the camera.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY