[pianotech] From the Dark Side

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 4 11:40:35 MDT 2012

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I bring you the most incredible story from the Dark Side, (otherwise known
as the Higher Logic, [yeah right], bullcrap list):

"Subject: Re; Polyester and Aliphatic Urethane?
Message: This message has been cross posted to the following Discussions:
Pianotech and Casework and Finishing .
Dear Folks,

It was an interesting day. Hope some of you re-finishing gurus are looking
for a little action in here.

Short story; can aliphatic urethane (Devcote 379, I believe) be applied
over a polyester finish?
And stay there?

Long story; Picture a Yamaha C7 at a local performing arts center with a
small ding on the fallboard, and two matching dings on the lid. A piece of
equipment (lighting) was dropped and hit hard enough to punch through the
finish. None of these marks larger than a quarter. Small.

I suggested a reputable refinisher, skilled in poly-repair and also a quote
from Yamaha on simply replacing the two pieces. This would be the
fallboard, and the front 'apron' of the lid; the rectangular piece we fold
over when we open the piano. No brainer, right? The refinisher is actually
working in a space at the Yamaha dealer for goodness sake! You'd think
there was no issue or thought required. Done deal.

Ah....no. One of the part-time stagehands (I kid you not), offers that he
can fix that right up. Take a day and get 'er done. Cheap, too. After all,
he said; "It's lacquer. My Devcote 379 with a dash of converter will bond
right to that." And proceeded to 'fix' the broken 'lacquer' finish with
this product. But...he oversprayed on the lid, and got some on the body of
the instrument. Gee...guess we need to get that too! Oh, and the rest of
the lid to keep things shiny bright and beautiful. Perfect, just perfect. A
$45,000.00 piano in the hands of a man who cannot identify lacquer from
polyester.

So, the simple repair turned into a COMPLETE coat of this product on the
entire piano. When I walked in this afternoon he was busy putting this
stuff onto the cheekblocks (locking them into place, of course) and the
keyslip (locking that into place), and yes....even the pedal lyre and the
dang stage-dolly under the piano!

Swallowing my instant fear and cry of anguish; I suggested that we could
pull the parts off the piano, to give him better control and access, and
removed the cheek blocks, action, music desk, fallboard, and pedal lyre
from the piano. Then pulled the rods from the pedal lyre. And cautiously
suggested that using acetone and other liquids (whatever in that finishing
brew) over the piano strings, and then rubbing it out with dust and finish
blowing around, might best be done with the strings and soundboard masked
from the dust and drips. 'Are you a re-finisher?' he asks. 'Nope' says I.
'I leave that to the professionals!'. Nodding, and satisfied, he followed
my suggestions. He promised to mask the legs seperately, and spray them
discreetly from the body, he promises that they won't be welded with the
finish to the piano. No...they are not removed. Nor is the lid, despite my
offer to help get that simple precaution done.

So....what say the professionals?

Can you safely sand a 1996 Yamaha C7 high-density high-gloss polyester
finish, wash it with acetone, and put a shiny coat of 'aliphatic resin' on
that for a permanent and long-lasting shiny piano? I thought he meant
carpenter's wood glue, for one scary second...but caught a glimpse of the
actual can. I believe it was Devcote 379 aliphatic urethane, a can of
Devcote 379 'converter', and a gallon of matching 'Thinner' whose product
list included Benzene, Tuolene, and a host of similiar substances.

Success ratio?
Drying time of this product, if sprayed today?
Average humidity on the Oregon Coast currently approaches 80-90%. And the
piano is less than 2 miles from the ocean. Temperature? Cool. Not exceeding
70, nor dropping below 50 at night. Piano on loading dock, guys. Piece of
tin between it and outdoors, once they shut the damn two-story rolling
monster.

Why ask about drying? Curious about that are you? Why? Because, for good
measure; the piano is being borrowed by the Newport Symphony on Friday
morning. Moved 50 miles from its present location on the loading dock
(...just inside the wide-open 40-ft door, for ventilation don't you know).
For a two piano performance....with a Mason-Hamlin BB on Saturday
afternoon. Can I get an 'Amen?'

Respectfully,
I am,
Awaiting your input,