[pianotech] Conventions ( was Pianotech? )

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Tue Jul 17 23:45:16 MDT 2012

Mainly to Wim,

Your Perennial is GREAT.

BUT, you keep forgetting many multiple factors.

1) Is money - I don't have $3000 on a convention - any convention - not even $1000. At least 95% of my profit goes back
out in supplies. Leather and felt punchings, bellows cloth, etc. ain't cheap. Along with glue and other misc supplies.
Plus, this economy is NOT helping any. And don't think about telling me to raise my rates - as it is - people gasp when
I tell them how much a player rebuild will be (it is mostly labor).

2) I am currently doing a piano roll recut program where people order a piano roll from my private collection, send it
in to have it scanned and recut as a new roll. Now, the recutting process requires a minimum run of 5 rolls. So right
off the bat, I have to pay for 5 of the same roll to sell even one. So 1 from 5 is 4 - that I have to find a way to sell
- currently listing them on eBay - and that costs is monthly advertising fees.

3) You say that I could hone my skills. Hone my skills on WHAT ? That would be great of 99% of my clientele were GRANDS
- which it AIN'T. I get 99% of old beaters, studios, consoles, spinets, players, etc which once every 5 to NEVER years
gets tuned. Just about the only repeat customers I have, for tunings, are player piano customers because they - USE -
their pianos. I've had several churches, but somehow they die on me - closed, moved, abandoned, no funds, etc.

4) My main stay is rebuilding players and reed organs with an occasional melodeon thrown in the mix. For players, by the
time the customer pays for the player rebuild, there is not much left over for nicety addons like a new soundboard, etc.
Its basically - fix - everything that is absolutely needed - like cracks in the soundboard, bridle straps and new
hammers - just maybe new dampers. And of course, the necessity of piano - and - player regulation.

5) As you can probably remember, there are many techs competing for clientele in the St. Louis Metro area. And most of
them have been around a LONG time to get the - REPEAT - clientele.

6) Finally, as I have said my times before, the organization is geared towards Grands - and - clients with lots of money
to spend.

7) Furthermore, It has been 3 months since my last tuning !!!!!

So, if, and when, I can ever get my head above water, I will go to the next convention,
Duaine

dahechler at att.net