[pianotech] Humidity

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 14:11:11 MDT 2012

I tell my churches to try to have it at normal temperature, or within five
degrees if normal isn't practical.

Humidity changes won't affect the wood that quickly. Changes in humidity
will cause tuning changes beginning after 24 hours or so.

>From my general observation (not scientific study), for every 5º F there
will be about 1 Hz difference at A4. That amount of change varies according
to the size of the piano. If I come to a piano and it's 80º, I'll tune it
flatter than A440, anticipating that pitch will rise as the temperature
drops to 70º. How much flatter is somewhat a guessing game. Either I get it
right on, or close enough so people don't notice it, or most people can't
tell the difference and don't care all that much anyway. ;-)

--
John Formsma, RPT
Blue Mountain, MS