[pianotech] balance hole jig

Mike keymaestro at verizon.net
Sat Jul 28 09:48:45 MDT 2012

	I wish I had the answers that everyone is seeking or a jig to sell
for the job, but every balance hole job is difficult, unique, and presents
its own circumstances; therefore a universal jig as I see it is nearly
impossible.

	I'm glad someone finally pointed out the fact that the original
location of the balance hole should be considered because in my opinion that
is the most important aspect of balance hole replacement.

	Balance hole replacement is rarely an isolated problem, It is
usually further complicated by other problems within the keyboard such as
worn tops, buttons, mortises, and pins. When more than one reference to the
keyboard's original state is gone the job becomes that much harder, where
does one start? All can affect spacing.

	There are a few systems for replacing balance holes available on the
market and many adaptations pop up on various forums and conventions from
time to time, all are fast and furious and serve an immediate need but all
that I have seen  fail to consider where the balance hole was originally.
The trade off is a keyset with new slop-free balance holes that have varying
front-to back and varying side-to-side points, they can also have an even
worse combination of the two.

	These varying front-to back and side-to-side points lead to a
spacing nightmare which requires the front and balance pins to be bent over
to compensate. This spacing nightmare and its corrective measure carry on
northward into the action.

	Front-to-back variations are aesthetic and change the fulcrum point
which changes the action geometry, side-to-side variations change the
position of the key with regard to its neighbors and requires bending the
front rail pin to respace, a combination of front-to back and side-to-side
variation cause both sets of problems.

	Pins that do not travel parallel with or parallel through the
mortise cause friction and binding. Bending the front and balance rail pins
sideways for compensation requires that the mortises in the front rail and
buttons be widened or opened up a bit, this widening causes slop and
unevenness throughout the keyboard.

	Replacing or repairing certain components on keyboards such as the
keytops, buttons, balance holes, and mortises is major surgery and if not
done properly can quickly and forever change the geometry, appearance, and
playability of an instrument; there is a reason I don't tune my own piano.

	All of these repairs can be done successfully by anyone that is
willing to put the time, effort, and resources into it. Tread lightly and be
a good advocate for the client, the instrument, and yourself.

Mike Morvan
Blackstone Valley Piano
www.pianoandorgankeys.com