[pianotech] A little case damage

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 12:38:40 MDT 2012

     "This stuff" also sucks up sound almost as badly as if it were rubber. I tuned one of those Yammy P-22's made in Georgia  a while ago, and besides the arm-breaking tuning pin tightness ( they flagpoled pathetically ) a thought ran through my mind of "There is something about the tone of this thing that is like cheap speakers sold from the trunk of a car in a parking lot." Thubby, in a  word. Then I saw the black-painted chipboard on an exposed edge (also the core material on such cheap speakers) and knew why.
     Quality piano builders of yore, when competition was stiff, knew that every molecule of construction affected tone in some way, and acted accordingly.

Thumpe