[pianotech] Square Grand Jack Leather & Felt

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 1 19:24:31 MDT 2012

Terry the Farrell said:
"The toe of the square grand jack has a piece of leather on its underside.
Right below that is a piece of felt on the base of the jack (what do you
call that - the piece with two screws through it for adjusting lost
motion?). Ultimately, I'm trying to decide whether to replace these pieces
of leather and felt. What I really want to do is understand their function
(beyond keeping these parts from slapping loudly together).

Seems to me, in a properly adjusted square grand action, they really
wouldn't even be needed. Yes? I can see if let-off was set too low, or if
key dip was set too deep (too much aftertouch), this leather & felt would
keep things quiet. But if aftertouch and let-off are properly set, seems to
me there really isn't a role for these cushioning pieces. Am I correct, or
am I not?

Pictures below: