[pianotech] mp3 recordings - How

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Sun Jun 3 14:27:26 MDT 2012

Hello all,

Mark Schecter's post is full of good advice for preparing a quality
sound file. The big problem with using servers such as Youtube for
your recordings is that the quality of the sound file will not be
preserved (it will be screwed to sound like a 128K mp3 file). If you
have enough room on your webspace, you can save a file as an mp3 with
a higher sample rate (as Mark suggests 192K or higher) and upload it
to your own web space. Or if you have friends who don't use their
personal webspace, with their permission you can upload a file to
their space.

I have a couple of files of my grand piano sampled at 192K, online on
friend's web space.

Below is a link to an 18:40 minute 192K file of Scott Davie playing
Rachminoff's Variations on a Theme of Corelli on my 225 cm grand
piano no. 3.

http://users.tpg.com.au/onyxer/Corelli.mp3

This is a classical recording, and the microphones were placed to get
more of the room, relative to the closer mic placement typical of a
jazz recording. We also were particular about achieving a recorded
sound which didn't have an overly boosted bass. There are so many
piano recordings out there which sound nothing like the source
instrument.

And here is a link to a 7:04 minute 192K file of Mike Nock's Trio
recording his own composition, Acceptance, recorded on my 225 cm
grand piano no. 3

http://users.tpg.com.au/dotmewes/Acceptance.mp3

This jazz trio recording was made with closer microphone placement
than for the Corelli.

Please note:
Most web browsers will not play the full length of an mp3 file when
it is opened through a web browser. To play the full length of an
mp3, use a standalone player such as QuickTime or Windows Media
Player.

To open in QuickTime on a Mac, with QuickTime launched, select "Open
URL" through the File Menu, copy the link into the field, then click
"Open".

Ron Overs

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers

Web http://overspianos.com.au
mailto:ron at overspianos.com.au

A web page with images of recent work and almost-audio-CD quality mp3
sound files of the Overs piano can be found at;
http://overspianos.com.au/more_info.htm

So put on your headphones, plug them into your freshly restarted
computer and sit back to over 20 minutes of pure piano.