[pianotech] mp3 recordings - How

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Sun Jun 3 15:17:15 MDT 2012

Hi, Kent.

I take your points, and agree to some extent, but I would like to
counter with some different perspective.  Interspersed ...

On 6/3/12 12:04 PM, Kent Swafford wrote:
> I have a good bit of experience providing mp3 files here and on
> CAUT.

I'm trying to incorporate my experience prepping pianos for both
recordings in studios and for live sound reinforcement, and hearing the
results of various approaches used by various tech people.

> Close-miking can be great. Recording music and listening to music are
> two very different things. Close-miking is not the same as "listening
> with your ear in the piano"; for one thing, one can turn down the
> volume of the close-miked recording unlike when your head is in a
> piano.

No doubt close-miking has advantages, but it's no panacea, and it
introduces its own problems.

The mic's ear is in the piano, and is at some location in there, with
"walls" and "ceiling" very close (especially with the lid closed, but
either way), forming a comb-filtering resonant chamber that definitely
affects frequency response. Yes, you can (and must) turn down the level,
but doing so will not eliminate the peaks and valleys in the response
curve that exist at any given point inside there. I don't think there is
a single neutral point inside any piano that sounds as "natural" as what
we usually hear from a piano from outside that chamber. By natural, I
mean the "normal" sound output of the piano combined into a totality
which is received by a listener in a room that is also occupied by that
piano. Close-miking with the lid open would be better than with it
closed. But in my opinion, the variables within the different sizes and
shapes of piano cabinets are just as confounding as those imposed by
various rooms. In the end, it's always a compromise. I would just hope
to help people achieve a decent sound easily, without introducing
avoidable anomalies.

> Close-miking minimizes the influence of the acoustics of the room
> upon the sound of the recording.

True, but the piano's case is also a room that affects the sound.

> Close-miking allows (forces) one to lower the gain of your recording,
> which tends to minimize environmental sounds like air conditioning,
> the refrigerator, outside traffic, playing children, etc.

This is true and a definite advantage.

> Your distant miking instructions are fine if you have a beautiful
> sounding room and a perfectly quiet environment, but they would
> contribute to the apple-oranges problem since everyone's room will
> sound slightly different.

Agreed. For our purposes, I lean toward the closer of the positions I
described, directly above the rim and halfway between it and the lid, at
the curve, as the  position for grand recording that best balances the
variables for some consistency in results among different sizes of
pianos and the rooms they're in. It is close, but not too close. It is
far enough away from the board that it allows the sound to combine and
blend out peaks that come from point-source areas of the board and
within the resonant chamber. It combines sound coming directly from the
board and reflecting off the lid. Ultimately, there is no single perfect
solution that will give uniform results, so trying to find something
easily definable and achievable by non-pros with limited equipment,
time, and skills is more what I'm hoping for.

> Kent Swafford

~Mark Schecter