[pianotech] mp3 recordings - How

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Mon Jun 4 22:05:24 MDT 2012

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Michael Spreeman
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 2:54 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] mp3 recordings - How

Detailed information about the Earthworks PianoMic system can be found along
with recorded comparisons on the Earthworks site.  I suggest listening with
the best headphones you can get your hands on:

http://www.earthworksaudio.com/microphones/pianomic-series-2/

We've used the PM40 for about 3 years for both recording and live
performances.  Attached are a few photos from a recent session done on a
Model 220 where we used the PM40 with a set of Neumann M149s. This was about
as close to sounding like an accurate representation of the piano's sound
that I've heard.  Unfortunately, I don't have the audio files from this
session (yet).   The quality of the PM40 is comparable to the Neumann's and
although the 3k price tag may seem a little steep, it's still about 1/4 the
cost of the Neumann's.

Here's a recording using just the Earthworks PM40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQXPVG_LXuU
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQXPVG_LXuU&list=UUOs5Mzk0G9CtJGr0SJtiE5g&in
dex=4&feature=plcp> &list=UUOs5Mzk0G9CtJGr0SJtiE5g&index=4&feature=plcp

Michael Spreeman
www.RavenscroftPianos.com

  _____

I believe this is a unit I viewed on The Ravescroft that Michael Spreeman
uses. Michael?
Comments on its uses in recording?

Dale Erwin... RPT
Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S pianos