[pianotech] tuning equipment

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 5 00:09:40 MDT 2012

  	Cheapest ETD is probably TuneLab, or a used Accutuner.
	She should try tuning unisons first, to get a feel for using the
hammer.  If she can't do unisons, an ETD isn't going to help much.
Learning to tune by ear is actually the cheapest way, and she'll have
more fun learning to hear beats, etc.  Aural tuning is more interesting
than watching lights or a screen.  These won't tell you much about
what's going on behind the scenes.  My guess is, if you lent her your
ETD and let her try tuning, she'd give up in a short while.  Without
some kind of motive ($$$) other than intellectual stimulation, the
learning curve is too steep for most people.  If she just wants to
dabble on her own piano, trust me she'll become a very loyal customer in
a VERY short time when she finds out it isn't all that easy to do.
	My too scents.
	Paul McCloud
	SaN DIeGo